Nanaimo’s Samantha Dubinsky finally admitted to hospital amid scarcity of appropriate care
Bryan Dubinsky went public last month with the struggle he and his daughter Samantha were facing trying to find help from a provincial health system they described as failing their needs. Bryan told reporters that “The fact is, she’s dying as a result of her not getting treatment.” Since that first report, Samantha has been admitted to Vancouver’s St. Paul’s hospital, which is the only medical facility in the province that provides comprehensive treatment to people with eating disorders who are over 17 years of age.
Provincial health minister Kevin Falcon, according to the Vancouver Sun, has now stated that the Liberal government is working on a provincial plan for better treatment of eating disorders.
We speak with Bryan Dubinsky and with Cindy Dobbe of The Looking Glass Foundation.
RELATED | Feb. 15, 2010: Anorexic Nanaimo woman dying needlessly, dad says | Feb. 16, 2010: Anorexic teen admitted to hospital | Feb. 23, 2010: Inn slated to become treatment centre for eating disorders | July 14, 2010: Samantha fought her way back from anorexia |