VIMHS creates and shares resources and links to resources, using various types of media
On the road…to find out is a documentary film that explores issues related to the re-location of people with mental illness, from smaller communities on Vancouver Island, to Nanaimo—in order to access mental health services. The film is intended to be a discussion starter…
What happens when people are taken out of their natural social setting after they become mentally ill? What are the positive and negative effects of re-location? Where is home once someone has been relocated for an extended period?
The documentary was commissioned by Vancouver Island Mental Health Society and produced and directed by filmmaker Paul Manly (of Manly Media) in 2013.
Watch the trailer on YouTube here.
For more information about On the road…to find out or to purchase a copy of the DVD, contact us (250-758-8711).
Links to external resources
Suicide prevention and crisis
- Learn Psychology: Suicide and Depression Awareness for Students
- Vancouver Island Crisis Society
- Suicide Prevention BC Crisis lines
- Suicide Information
- Crisis Centre BC
- Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Obsessive Compulsive Foundation
- Here to Help BC
- Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments
- Center for Addiction and Mental Health
- Schizophrenia Society of Canada
- Mood Disorders Society of Canada
- Moods Magazine
- Mood Disorders Association of BC
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Evidence Based Mental Health (British Medical Journal search)
- U.S.A. National Institute for Mental Health
- Health Canada Drug and Alcohol Use Statistics
Body image and self esteem
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)
- Income Assistance
- Disability Assistance
- Forward House Community Society
- Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health)
- Health Link B.C.
- Island Crisis Care Society
- Co-operative Housing Federation of BC
- Tenants Rights Action Coalition
- Canadian Association of Independent Living
- B.C. Non Profit Housing Association
- Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society
VIMHS provides the above links as a public service; they are not necessarily intended as endorsements.