VIMHS creates and shares resources and links to resources, using various types of media
On the road…to find out is a documentary film that explores issues related to the re-location of people with mental illness, from smaller communities on Vancouver Island, to Nanaimo—in order to access mental health services. The film is intended to be a discussion starter…
What happens when people are taken out of their natural social setting after they become mentally ill? What are the positive and negative effects of re-location? Where is home once someone has been relocated for an extended period?
The documentary was commissioned by Vancouver Island Mental Health Society and produced and directed by filmmaker Paul Manly (of Manly Media) in 2013.
Watch the trailer on YouTube here.
For more information about On the road…to find out or to purchase a copy of the DVD, contact us (250-758-8711).
Public service announcements
Radio Malaspina (CHLY 101.7 FM radio in Nanaimo), Vancouver Island Mental Health Society and volunteers teamed up during the summer of 2012 to create four audio public service announcements (PSAs) for national distribution.
The PSAs are available online at no cost to radio stations and community groups across Canada and the English speaking world.
Jennifer: I remember the social workers taking me far from my home…
Listen or download: ccs_mental health_jennifer
Matthew: When I first got back from a military tour…
Listen or download: ccs_mental health_matthew
Ashley: You wouldn’t have known it, but a few months ago…
Listen or download: ccs_mental health_ashley
Colin: I worked construction for a lot of years…
Listen or download: ccs_mental health_colin
Links to external resources
Suicide prevention and crisis
- Healthy Mind and Body, A Resource Guide to Suicide Prevention
- Learn Psychology: Suicide and Depression Awareness for Students
- Vancouver Island Crisis Society
- Suicide Prevention BC Crisis lines
- Suicide Information
- Reminding Loved Ones That Live is Precious: Suicide Prevention Resources
- Crisis Centre BC
- Obsessive Compulsive Foundation
- Evidence Based Mental Health Information and Education (search engine)
- Here to Help BC
- Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments
- Center for Addiction and Mental Health
- Schizophrenia Society of Canada
- Mood Disorders Society of Canada
- Moods Magazine
- Mood Disorders Association of BC
- Mental Health Online
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Open Minds Open Windows
- Evidence Based Mental Health
- Schizophrenia Diaries
- National Institute for Mental Health
- Health Canada D & A
Body image and self esteem
- Canadian Mental Health (CMHA)
- Income Assistance
- Disability Assistance
- Forward House Community Society
- Vancouver Island Health Authority, Central Island
- BC Health Guide
- Island Crisis Care
- Co-operative Housing Federation of BC
- Tenants Rights Action Coalition
- Canadian Association of Independent Living
- BC Non Profit Housing Association
- Nanaimo Affordable Housing Association
VIMHS provides the above links as a public service; they are not necessarily intended as endorsements.